The OrthoED Institute has a commitment to "Growth Through Education"
In keeping with our commitment, we recently hosted a webinar entitled “A comprehensive approach to Temporomandibular Disorders and Bruxism” with Dr Lalima Tiwari, a specialist in Oral Medicine in Western Australia.
This was the best one hour presentation on TMD disorders that I have ever heard – and I really urge you to watch the recording of this superb webinar--I hope that you enjoy it as much as I did and those who attended the live presentation
Here is a summary of the webinar
Temporomandibular disorders are the second most common pain complaint, after dental pain, reported by patients in the dental office. It is therefore essential that the dentist is correctly equipped with the skills to manage the TMD patient. The key to successful management relies upon a comprehensive patient-centred approach, built from a sound understanding of underlying aetiology, diagnostic criteria, and management of TMJ conditions.
This seminar will aim to cover the basic principles of Temporomandibular Disorders and Bruxism, provide an opportunity to discuss clinical scenarios, and assist you to enhance your skills in successfully managing the TMD patient.
Areas covered include:
- Understanding the Temporomandibular joint and masticatory muscles
- Aetiologic considerations of Temporomandibular disorders
- Classifying Temporomandibular disorders and revisiting the TMD examination
- Understanding TMD in the orthodontic patient
- Treatment approaches for the TMD patient, including approaches to varying occlusal splint designs
- The role of psychosocial factors and discussing the biopsychosocial aspects of pain
- Discovering signs of bruxism in your patient and why is it important?
- Understanding the association between TMD, bruxism and sleep disordered breathing
- Identifying the need for multi-disciplinary treatment for your TMD patient
- How to identify and manage the chronic pain patient
I look forward to hearing your comments and feedback on what I feel to be a sensational presentation on temporomandibular disorders. A must listen to for any general dental practitioner